Friday, September 24, 2010

 

A brief offering

I lost my luggage today. I'm telling you this guy had it out for me.

"Sir, can your luggage fit the measurement bars?" Or whatever he said.

"No." I said. As I looked at everyone else's carry on, that could also not have fit on that thing.

The guy took my luggage and didn't ask if I had a connecting flight. I was about on the plane when someone told me I should tell them. Through a walkie talkie call, a baggage guy coming from outside, and right in the nick of time, I was assured my luggage would make it. But it didn't.

I kept telling people it wouldn't. They assured me it would, I just needed to have a little faith in this whole system. American Airlines totally bummed me out today.

We drove for 2.5 hours up the mountain, and I've never seen driving like this. People almost died several times. Yet no one flinched. No white or yellow lines, no nothing. This whole time, I'm just sulking. Thinking about telling our leader that I'm not at a place to lead our bible study on Thursday. I just wanted to go home and be with my wife and dog, and play a bit of Halo Reach.

These thoughts are hard to take seriously, and you just sorta realize you're a joke as you look at poverty all around. The reminder that 430,000 people lost their lives in the quake. All these people walking around know someone, possibly family members who lost their lives. They're living in tent cities now. We saw them throughout the entire 2.5 hour drive. The mud flowed all over from the hard rain. The tents were blown over, freshly, from the tropical storm Matthew. Glad I have the option to not stay in a tent. Actually, I never opt for the opportunity to get in one. And I'm not staying in one while we're in Haiti. I talked to a woman today as I botched the Creole in the convo, and she talked to someone else. She lost her husband, home, and business in one day. We saw her at the airport. But I lost my luggage. So. I don't think she knows what I'm going through, you know? I mean, underwear after 9 days is... itchy.

The good thing, though, I don't even have to worry about that. I'm so thankful for the people I'm on this trip with. I was given 3 NEW CRISP FRESH pair of undies, a new pair of shorts, 3 shirts, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and another pair of shorts. It's nice to not have to worry about your needs. I don't have my tuna salad packs and other things that I thought were essential, but through my friends, I've "Happened upon an essentials kit!"

http://comedians.jokes.com/brian-regan/videos/brian-regan---lost-baggage

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?