Sunday, October 26, 2008

 

To KNOW Him.


I've been doing a good job of praying this week and reading my bible.

I think that I noticed once again that I am NOT a morning person. I have been trying to do a bit of study in the morning, but for the most part, I find that I'm most effective in the middle of the day, or late morning. Unfortunately, I find myself at work during that time. Boy, it's things like that that make we want to be a freelance worker.

Early on in the week I was able to see something in a new light. The story of Jesus talking to the woman at the well of Jacob. She tells everyone that she knows that she met a man that told her everything she ever did. I truly wish I knew all that went on in that convo. We know that Jesus totally busts her out on this issue of her not being married to the guy that she's currently living with. And also Jesus tells her about her previous failed marriages. She knows there's something special about this Jesus.

Anyways, so back to the part where she goes and tells everyone that she met a man who told her everything she ever did. They got to meet Jesus, as well. They got to hear Him speak. And I enjoyed reading what one of them had to say:

(NKJV)
John 4:42
Then they said to the woman, "Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world."

I thought that was really cool. I thought it was also timely. I had opened up my old NKJV bible and started reading it as we have all decided that we want to be serious about this whole relationship with God thing.

This verse reminded me that the relationship that I have with God is very important. God speaks to us through His word, through prayer, through others, through... donkeys, and a whole lot of other stuff, too. :-)

But, we, as His sheep need to be able to recognize God speaking, if we want to experience the fullness of the life that God has called us to. We're going to be able to do that when we are in relationship with Him. And that relationship does not come by the testimony of others. I do not want to shortchange the woman at the well's testimony to the other NEW believers. It was, after all, her testimony which spurred them to seek out and understand the Christ for themselves. But, it was when THEY heard that they believed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?